Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Future in Relation to Topographies and Art





Sarah Trigg, American, Lake Vostok with Two Olympias, 2007, Acrylic on panel, 60 x 40 inches

Future quote:

"Today, mostly what we see of the Earth's surface on a daily basis, and what we process subconsciously, is in the form of digitized imagery, not what we see in its true physical form. By pulling this disparate imagery of the Earth into one view, the paintings project the spiritual and physical tensions between technologized culture and the natural landscape." - Sarah Triggs

Article

What i got, and i feel was needed, was an outside curatorial perspective on work revolving around the notion of topographies and the contemporary landscape and the futures it forecasts for us. Although, my current work isn't as apocalyptic as what is described in this article, I feel that I have done work about this subject before, and since this curatorial review is critiquing the contemporary landscape as viewed by emerging artists my work seems to fit in with these artists. I do feel a lot of the same sentiments with this review of this show, and agree that a lot of emerging artists deal with this problem.

My work seems to deal with the landscape and its relatiship with the people that most frequent it. Although, it seems like i am tryig to define a subculture of people by their space and environs, I don't know if that is possible. I know that this work has been a narrative journey of myself and other people's tracks and residues through the culture and landscape that we inhabit, stumble upon, and share. The bike culture is just a device that allows for this project to exist, it's a common thread that envolopes my life and these topographies. Though, I do not know where I am heading, I know i'll get there and discover something amazing through this project and create something that is so unique and yet so common. Only time, engery, and money can tell where this contemporary landscpape eill take me.

No comments: